Welcome to today’s discussion on the premise of building a cow fattening farm. Dear Farmer Brothers, We all know that cow fattening farms in Bangladesh have to keep cows in captivity. And so their accommodation must be good and right. Cow housing should be comfortable for cows. Its habitat and nature have a great influence on the productive capacity of cattle.
The cows will be healthy and productive as long as the shelter of the selected animals in the cow fattening farm is comfortable. And so in case of commercial fattening of cows, all the useful facilities should be provided in the shed.
Construction of beef cow fattening farm sheds
A modern cow fattening farm needs to have at least three different types of sheds or houses separately.
- Sheets for monitoring sick or newly purchased cows,
- Cattle feed and equipment storage, office and workers’ housing sheds,
- The main habitat for fattening cows.
Sometimes more shed or houses are needed. For example vermi-compost manure is made from cow dung.
Cow fattening farm sheds
For a cow fattening farm one has to be careful in building his habitat as well as house. The following two types of sheets are most popular for cow fattening farms all over the world. E.g.
- Open cow shed
- Conventional cow shed
Open cow shed
This type of cow fattening is left unattended inside the cow shed on the farm shed and many cows of the same age can move freely together. The shed or canopy of the shed is wide and high and is surrounded by a special kind of enclosure of solid wood or iron pipe. The shed is attached to a piece of pasture where the cows can walk and rest. Chari or pots are not used for feeding.
Food is poured on the verandah floor by the fence of the shed and the cows can eat them by inserting their heads through the grill of the iron pipe or through certain gaps in the fence. Adequate supply of pure water is kept inside the shed. Although there are many beneficial aspects of such sheds, there are some problems for cow fattening. And so in our country such a shed did not get popularity.
Conventional cow shed
This type of cow fattening is done on farm sheds with cows tied up in 1 or 2 or round rows. Separate living arrangements for each fattening cow are separated by wood or iron rods in the shed. In front of the cow a long manager or food container is placed. There is a separate water container or auto water drinker next to the food container. Dishes and floors are made of bricks, sand and cement.
It is important to have a modern drainage system to ensure a healthy and comfortable environment for cows in a modern set. Modern drainage system not only ensures good health and high productivity of cattle but also makes the farm more profitable by producing organic manure and natural gas.
Conventional sheds can be divided into four parts based on the hierarchy of the cattle feed container. E.g.
- One sided row shed
- sheds with inward rows
- Sheds with convex rows
- Sheds with round rows
You can choose any of these four to ensure the land structure and other modern management of the cattle fattening farm.
Shed with one-way row of cows
There is no substitute for one-way sheets if you want to build a cattle farm or small scale fattening cattle farm.
Sheds with inward rows of cows
The fattening cows in this shed are facing upwards and the backs are facing outwards. Managers or food containers have to be placed at the front of both rows for feeding and there must be a walkway for care and feeding along the middle of both rows of managers so that the caregiver can serve food in both rows at the same time. There is a drain along the back of the cow i.e. outside the shed.
Sheds with outward row of cows
In such sheds the cows are facing opposite to each other and there is a drainage system in the middle of both the rows. In front of two rows of cows there is a manager or food container and a walkway. The advantage of this method is that the cow gets free air.
Shed with round rows of cows
Sheds with round rows are very popular at present. In such rows, many fattening cows can be fed and monitored from one place.
Cow fattening farm environment
It is normal for production to be hampered if the environment of the fattening cattle farm is not good. Because if the environment is not good, the medical expenses will increase as the cows will get sick. The farm will fall into losses. And so when setting up a farm, you have to observe the surrounding environment well. In that case some of the following precautions should be followed.
- The farm should have adequate lighting and ventilation.
- Farm setting area should not be catastrophic.
- The air there should be free from dust, sand and pollution.
- The environment there must be noise pollution free or secluded.
- The place to set up the farm should be high and sloping.
- The environment around the farm should be kept dry and safe.
- Adequate food grain production and price should be less in the area of farm establishment.
- The communication system there should be good.
- Therefore, it is important to follow the above guidelines to set up a commercial cattle fattening farm. However, all the small cow fattening farms in our country do not follow such rules, but the environment of those farms is not very bad.
Only in the rainy season there is a little problem. Cow fattening farms will increase production if they can give animals a comfortable environment, no matter how small or large.
All places and surroundings should be kept clean. Habitat is a little sloping in nature so that water and rainwater can flow away. 20 square feet (5 * 4) space is required for each cow.
Buying cows for fattening
Things to keep in mind when buying cows on a fattening farm.
- Must buy cows of the same age.
- Cows of the same breed are better.
- It is better if the cow is one and a half to two years old.
- Of course the purchase price of cattle should be less.
- Buy fast growing bulls or crossbred bulls.
- Cows that are physically light but have the potential to be fat should be bought.
- Cattle fattening farm food management
- Cow fattening farms need to buy cows of the same breed, age for the convenience of food management. Cows need to be provided with balanced granular food. The farm needs to cultivate high yielding grass in the same amount of land to maintain the supply of raw grass throughout the year. Or use corn silage instead of raw grass.
Diseases and vaccine management
Cow fattening farm diseases and vaccine management should be done with caution. Cannot be completely dependent on the doctor. To be a successful cow fattening farm, the farmer must know more than the doctor. Of course, the anthrax and razor disease vaccine must be applied.
Read More: Cow Care – Extra care is required for fattening